Henry King Alford, born on July 22, 1852, was elected Mayor of Toowoomba in 1911 and 1912..
His christening on August 29, 1852, is of historical importance for Toowoomba. Not only was the christening conducted at the first Church of England service held in Toowoomba, but it was also the first time the name “Toowoomba” was written on a public document.
The son of district pioneers Mr and Mrs Thomas Alford, it was his mother who gave the future city its name.
As a young man, Henry Alford was an officer of the Australian Joint Stock Bank, but later, and until the time of his death in 1930, he was associated with pastoral properties in Queensland.
During his time in public life, he was keenly interested in several phases of civic progress. He was a council alderman for two years before being elected Mayor.
Henry Alford died on August 19, 1930, aged 78.
A Street in Mt Lofty and a park in Victoria Street on the banks of West Creek have been named in his honour.